Enjoy the Sunset – Stay for Stargazing
- Adult Ages 16+
- Children Ages 15 & Under
Sunset followed by Stargazing at Haleakala National Park
Join Maui Stargazing for a stunning sunset in the summit district of Haleakala National Park followed by a science-based, 60-minute guided telescope tour of the cosmos. Observe the most deep-sky objects through the largest portable telescope on Haleakala. See the visible planets and deep-sky objects of the Milky Way, including nebulae, star clusters, and the galaxies beyond through a 12-inch aperture Dobsonian telescope. Stay warm in our winter jackets and snowboard pants in children’s sizes on up to adult size 4-XL.
Your Astronomy Tour Includes
- Sunset in Haleakala National Park
- Expert astronomer
- Guided survey of the constellations
- Largest portable telescope on Haleakala
- 60 to 90 minutes of telescope time
- See the best views of deep-space objects in the field setting
- Winter jackets, fleece hats and gloves
- Insulated snow pants in your size
- Family-friendly observing site with restrooms and paved surfaces
- Meet your astronomer at the Kula Marketplace and board the Mercedes Sprinter for your astronomy excursion.
Guests bring their own dinner and beverages. Space is limited so no coolers or ice cubes please.
Dress as warmly as possible. Bring closed shoes or boots with thick socks, long pants, and a long sleeve shirt, fleece hoodie or sweatshirt. Maui Stargazing supplies winter outerwear, including snowboarding pants, heavy winter coats, hats and gloves, but you still need the layers described above.
Bring water, and optional: sunglasses, sunscreen, wide brim hat, camera, and a tripod.
Wear your contact lenses or prescription glasses for distance for telescope observing.
Guests who are prone to motion sickness, please hydrate and consider taking an over-the-counter, non-drowsy motion sickness remedy and using pressure point wrist bands.
Kula Lodge and Marketplace
15200 Haleakala Hwy.
Park on street level
Click here for directions.
You will find your astronomer parked on the street level just past the Kula Lodge sign. Please park your vehicle in the bus or car parking area.
If Maui Stargazing cancels a tour due to inclement weather, guests may receive a full refund or reschedule to another night. Maui Stargazing does not control the weather. Forecasts are not always accurate. Not all tours are conducted under perfectly clear skies. In most cases conditions allow telescope observing, so our policy is to proceed with tours unless we are certain of poor conditions. Once a tour has entered the national park, there are no refunds. If weather prevents meaningful stargazing the guests may have a rain check valid for one year.
- No scuba diving within 24 hours before your tour date to avoid decompression sickness. (It’s okay to snorkel/swim).
- This tour takes place at high elevation, under darkness and on uneven surfaces, so it is not recommended for those with chronic conditions, respiratory, circulatory and cardiac conditions, those with mobility impairments, or people in poor health. Maui Stargazing tours may not be appropriate for those with pacemakers, walkers, wheel chairs or oxygen tanks. Please consult their physician and call Maui Stargazing before booking if you have questions.
- All activities are at your own risk. No liability, expressed or implied, rests with Maui Stargazing LLC or its officers.
- Minimum age for this tour is 4 years or 40 pounds. Parents of children weighing 40-85 pounds and under 4’9” need to bring a booster seat according to Hawaii State law.
- Maui Stargazing utilizes the largest portable telescope on Haleakala, which offers the best views in the field setting. The objects will not appear as they do in the Hubble Space Telescope or photographs.
- If you need to cancel, notify Maui Stargazing via email at [email protected] ASAP so others may reserve their spot on the tour.
- No refunds for no shows or cancellations within 72 hours of check in time.
- Changes to reservations are not permitted within 72 hours prior to the tour.
- Maui Stargazing LLC reserves the right to cancel or reschedule a tour at the discretion of the management.
- Observing locations and equipment can be subject to change without notice.
- Wait for instructions before touching the telescope.
- For your safety please remove shoes and be seated while putting on and taking off snow pants.
By purchasing your stargazing tour you agree to these terms.
Aloha! We look forward to meeting you!
Faulkes Telescope North – Live Summit Webcam
PanStarrs II – Live Summit Webcam